Login |  Register |  help
Wolves Sports

Eastlake erupts in second half

Posted Saturday, October 07, 2006 by MICHAEL MCLAUGHLIN

Saturday, October 7, 2006

Eastlake 48, Lake Washington 21: Eastlake erupts in second half
Strong finish buries Lake Washington


KIRKLAND -- For one half of football, the Lake Washington homecoming game against Eastlake had the packed purple-clad Kangaroos fans hopping Friday night.

But there were signs of trouble at Mac Field beginning at halftime, when the public-address microphone went dead, and one of the halftime homecoming cars that paraded school royalty stalled next to the field. They were indeed signs of things to come.

Eastlake scored the final 27 points in a 48-21 win to improve to 5-0 in KingCo 4A play and 5-1 overall. The loss drops L.W. to 3-2, 4-2 overall.

Even after the Kangs had tied the game early in the third quarter at 21-21, Eastlake coach Gene Dales said he was never really nervous, but instead was frustrated with his team's execution.

"For a while there, we created our own headaches with turnovers," Dales said. "L.W. kept coming at us, and you have to credit them for that, but when we can throw the football like we did tonight, we can take care of just about any eight-man rush."

The Wolves outgained L.W. 466-157, with quarterback Ryan Robertson completing 11 of 21 passes for 246 yards and four touchdowns.

The matchup featured plenty of offensive firepower, including Kangs tailback Justin Kim, the leading rusher in KingCo 4A going into Week 6 with 1,012 yards for a 10.3-yard-per-carry average and 12 touchdowns. Eastlake countered with Robertson, the league's leading passer. Robertson came into the game completing 60 percent of his passes for 1,083 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Kim was held in check most of the game and limited to 35 yards and one score on 12 carries.

Robertson got the Wolves going on their second drive after Eastlake took over near midfield. The 6-foot-3 junior play caller found one of the few players taller than him, 6-5 wideout Justin Helwege, the leading receiver in KingCo 4A, on a slant route that the senior turned into a 42-yard touchdown.

L.W. answered immediately after senior Gerard Boseman broke the ensuing kickoff 87 yards to the Eastlake 11. Three plays later, quarterback Kirby Young went 1 yard behind center to tie the score 7-7.

Senior Dane Steel made it 14-7 late in the first quarter on a third-and-1 from the L.W. 31. Steel ran a simple off-tackle, and after hitting the hole and bouncing off his own blocker, had open field and went untouched for the score.

The game bogged down in the second quarter as the teams combined for 12 penalties. Eastlake got on the board again late in the period when Robertson connected with wide-open senior Jared Fagan, who went 31 yards for a 21-7 lead.

It took L.W. less than 2 minutes to answer as Kim capped a five-play, 54-yard drive with an 8-yard run to cut the deficit to eight points at halftime.

L.W. tied the game 3 minutes into the third quarter after a Boseman interception. Three plays later, Boseman hauled in a long pass for a 67-yard score.

The Kangs had a chance to take the lead after another pick, but Eastlake blocked a field-goal attempt and went on to score the final 27 points.

"We never doubted we would come back and take control of the game," said Helwege, who caught four passes for 119 yards and two touchdowns. "We have some great weapons on offense."

This page was created in 0.0938 seconds on server 132